Code Enforcement Division FAQ's

What code does the Town of Easton Use?

The State of Maryland has incorporated the following referenced codes effective January 1, 2015:

  • International Residential Code 2015
  • International Building Code 2015
  • International Energy Conservation Code 2015
  • The state adopted these codes as a part of the Maryland Building Performance Standard and are required by the Annotated Code of Maryland 12-505(a)(1)(ii) to be adopted by local jurisdictions within six months of the State's effective date.

Effective July 1, 2015 the Town Code has incorporated the following referenced codes for the Town of Easton:

  • 2015 International Building Code
  • 2015 International Residential Code
  • 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code
  • 2015 International Plumbing Code
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2014 NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code
  • 2014 National Electrical Code
How long is the plan review process from initial application?

The current average application processing times, from the date of receipt to the issuance of a permit are as follows:

  • Commercial New = 32 days
  • Commercial Alteration = 24 days
  • Residential New = 29 days
  • Residential Additions = 15 days
  • Residential Alteration = 16 days
  • Decks = 3 days
  • Pools = 2 days
  • Electrical = 1-2 days
  • Plumbing – Fuel Gas = 1-2 days
  • Mechanical = 3-4 days

Application processing time has several variables that may affect the time periods indicated above. Some of those variables are:

  • Application Type
  • Permit Type
  • Completeness of the Application
  • Documentation of Required Pre-Approvals
  • The Number of Applications in Queue.

How could I expedite my Commercial, Residential or Industrial applications processing time?

An applicant can make sure, prior to making an application, that all prior approvals have been received from the Planning and Zoning offices for subdivisions, developments and historic districts.

In completing the application, be sure that the contractor information is completed and that those contractors have the required license for the project. Also include; Engineered Truss Drawings and Sprinkler Shop Drawing-Hydraulic Calculations with the application should these systems be a component of the project.

During the application process an applicant can also make the necessary payments for Talbot County Impact Fees and any capital charges with Easton Utilities.

These are common items that prevent the issuance of a permit once all agencies have approved the application.

How could I calculate my building permit fees?

You will need to know the Buildings Total Gross Area, Construction Classification – Type of Construction and Use & Occupancy Classification for all buildings and additions. For existing buildings you will need to refine the Building Total Gross Area to the Total Gross Work Area and also determine the Classification of the Work. Informational aids are available under the Information section to the left.

Once you have all of this information, see the Schedule of Fees and the Square Foot Construction Costs links under the Information section to the left. The equation can be outlined as:

    Permit Fees =
    Building Gross Area or Gross Work Area x
    Classification of Work x
    Construction Square Foot Costs x .0078.

The Building Inspection Division determines the cost of all permits however if you are having difficulty or have a complex project with multiple aspects please contact the Building Inspection Division. Please remember that additional fees such as plan review fees, certificate fees and home builder guarantee fees may need to be added to the permit fees for the final cost of a building permit.

Do I need to make application for Mechanical, Plumbing or Electrical installations with the Town of Easton?

Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical Applications shall be completed with the Town of Easton prior to commencing any work. If necessary a Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical permit will be issued outlining the scope covered by the permit and the required inspections. Once a required permit is obtained work may commence.

What codes are used for Existing Buildings undergoing Repairs, Alterations and/or Additions?

All existing buildings are regulated by the “Maryland Building Rehabilitation Code” under Comar 05.16.01. The Maryland Building Rehabilitation Code incorporates the International Existing Building Code 2015 which provides flexibility in compliancy with modern building codes for all existing buildings. This code also applies to Existing Buildings; undergoing a Change of Use, being Relocated or Moved and all aspects of Historic Buildings.

What do I have to do if the tenant of my building changes?

This is a Change of Use and Occupancy for the building or space. A determination needs to be made regarding the hazard classification of this change. If there is no increase in the hazard classification then a new Certificate of Occupancy may be issued including the new tenant information.

If there is an increase in hazard classification a building analysis needs to be completed by a registered design professional to determine if any alterations are necessary.

Please contact the Code Enforcement Department regarding any Change of Use and Occupancy of your building or space.

Do I have to have a Maryland licensed professional prepare, sign, seal and date, drawings and specifications for Commercial Residential and Industrial permit application?

Yes, for Land Surveyors, Engineers and Architects, however there are a few exceptions to the need for a professional Architect. They are as follows:

  • A developer, builder, or contractor to provide design services related to the developer's, builder's, or contractor's own construction of new or existing single-family or two-family dwellings, or structures ancillary to them, or farm buildings.
  • An individual to prepare plans, drawings, and other documents in connection with the addition, alteration, construction, design, or repair of a single-family dwelling and appurtenances that are for the personal use of that individual or a member of the immediate family of that individual.
  • A person may not be required to employ a licensed architect in connection with the alteration or repair of an existing building or structure in a municipal corporation if the alteration or repair:
    • Does not exceed $5,000 in estimated costs, including labor and materials;
    • Is limited to: interior alterations or repairs; storefronts or facades; fixtures, cabinetwork or furniture; or
    • Does not adversely affect the structural system of the building, including foundations, footings, walls, floors, roofs, bearing partitions, beams, columns, joists, or the mechanical, electrical, or plumbing systems.

Do I have to submit a MECcheck or COMcheck to certify compliance with the International Energy Conservation Code?

Yes, a submission of a MECcheck or COMcheck to certify compliance with the International Energy Conservation Code shall be required by the Town of Easton Building Inspection Division to certify that the project shall conform to the provisions of the International Energy Conservation Code.

If performance based provisions are used the applicant will need to submit documentation prepared by a registered design professional providing certification that it conforms to the provisions of the Code. Model home designs using the performance based options with several floor plan options must submit the appropriate documentation for each individual house design.


Our Address is:

Town of Easton
Office of Code Enforcement
14 South Harrison Street
Easton Maryland 21601

Our Phone number is 410.822.2526
Our Fax number is 410.822.8738


To see the status of applications in review, click here.

Applications received by the Town of Easton process thru tracks, generally they consist of:

  • Track A – Planning and Zoning and Engineering
  • Track B – Building Inspections and Easton Utilities
  • Track C – Permit Processing